AQ Blog Post #60. AQ/JA Book Manuscript Part V

Dear Pharma Colleagues! I and my longtime friend Javed Akhtar have started writing a book about Pharmaceutical Sales Profession. It reads like a story and will take up all aspects of Pharma Sales. We both started as Medical Rep in 1975 and went through various stages. Javed got assigned to training and left as Head of Training at GSK. I stayed in the line management and reached the top in various companies. This is not just our story; it is the story of all of us; the Pharma Salespeople. Kindly read and give your reviews and comments here or at asrar@asrarqureshi.com 
Working Independently
Next day Jamil got ready to go to work independently. He had mixed feelings. He was excited to get into work and he was also somewhat scared. He looked at his plan. He had to work in the Samanabad area as per plan. He looked at the doctors list which showed fourteen doctors in various parts of the area. Jamil had never explored Samanabad before. He knew the location of area, but never had any reason to dig deeply into it. All the same, he was sure he would find the listed doctors without much problem.
The first doctor on his list was Dr. Anees Ahmad. He reached there and saw two pharmacies near the clinic. He went straight to pharmacies.
“Salam. I am Jamil, from Ambria Pharma. Can I ask you for some information?” “Yes, Sure. Are you new in the area?” the pharmacy person asked. “Yes sir. I am new in the area and new in the job also. I just joined.” Jamil replied politely. “OK. Don’t worry. We shall help  you. What do you want to ask?” the pharmacy person was encouraging. “Thank you sir. I want to know if Dr. Anees is prescribing any product of Ambria Pharma.” Jamil said. “Well, he prescribed your levofloxacin for some time but stopped. No one came from your company for more than three months. How can he keep prescribing if no one comes to remind him?” the pharmacy person explained. “Yes. You are right. Thank you for telling me. I shall go and visit the doctor”.
Jamil went to the other pharmacy but they were not welcoming. “Why you have to come and ask us? Go and ask the doctor. He will tell you.” The pharmacy person was aged and not in a mood to socialize. “I am sorry sir. I did not mean to disturb you. I only wanted to know the situation” Jamil said calmly, said good-bye and went towards the clinic.
Dr. Anees appeared to have a large practice. His clinic was already filled with patients. Jamil looked around to find some way. Soon a young person approached. “Which company are you from?” He asked. “I am from Ambria Pharma” Jamil replied. “Ah. You come after many days” he said. “I am new. Just joined.” Jamil said quietly. “I am the Assistant of doctor sahib. Give me your card so that I can tell doctor sahib” he said. “Sorry I don’t have cards yet. I joined only two days back.” Jamil said hesitatingly. “It is ok. Just wait here for some time and I shall take you in the doctor’s chamber” The Assistant was helpful.
Jamil sat on a chair and waited for about 10 minutes. Finally, the Assistant appeared again. “Go inside. Doctor sahib will see you now” he said. Dr. Anees was a middle-aged person. He looked at Jamil. “Yes?” he asked curtly. “Sir. I am Jamil from Ambria Pharma. I have joined recently.” Jamil said haltingly. “Ok. What do you have?” the doctor asked. “Sir, you know our product Lefquin, our levofloxacin.” Jamil started. “Yes I know. Someone from your company came and I prescribed it. Then no one came.” The doctor was straightforward. “Yes sir. Thank you sir. I shall visit you regularly. Please prescribe our Lefquin again” Jamil pleaded. “Let us see if you come back again. Then I shall decide. Thank you”. The doctor ended the interview. Jamil was not sure what to do. He murmured thank you sir and came out. “How did it go?” the Assistant wanted to know. “I don’t know. Doctor sahib said come again and then I shall decide about your product”. Jamil could not help to keep himself from saying it. “Listen. You are new. Understand one thing. Doctor sahib is very nice and supportive. But he says that the first right is for the medical reps who visit regularly. If you visit regularly, it shows you are serious in work. Doctor sahib appreciates that. Do not lose heart. Come a few times and you will get business.” The Assistant explained all. Jamil thanked him profusely and went away.
Continued……

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cannabis Based Drugs (CBDs) and A Brief History of Use of Cannabis sativa Part I – Blog Post by Asrar Qureshi

New Year 2024– Ideas For A Life Worth Living – Asrar Qureshi’s Blog Post #894

Pharmaceutical Industry Challenges Today – Asrar Qureshi’s Blog Post #822